Skip to main content

People's Literary Festival

The familiar sight of years gone by struck me with a deep sense of nostalgia as I revisited the City of Joy. The place where poetry was born in me. And to find that home is never too far away when you encounter people who are driven by the same passion as yours. It was my love for books that brought me back to the city, thanks to the Bastar Solidarity Network (BSN)!

And it is with profound memories of the two day PEOPLE'S LITERARY FESTIVAL that I return back to the hills, stronger in my resolve to keep the rich stories of my land alive. 

I just read somewhere that there are as many as 67 lit fests in a year in India- which I thought is really incredible. But what's different about the People's Literary Festival Kolkata is the cause behind it. It celebrates people as much as it does literature. It celebrates humanity and talks about real things. About life at its best and at its worst. It talks about the truth.The stark reality of things. And that's what I really like about it. Because life can only be that- real. 

For some reason, the Lit Fest also reminded me of Sylvia Plath's words- “And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise.”Perhaps because "fearless" is the word for it. I was certainly in the midst of bold and courageous writers, some of whose writings also created an uproar for speaking their minds. But somebody once said, "writing really only begins once we forget to be afraid", and I truly believe that fearless writing is at the heart of any good literature. 

On a heartwarming note, that the Lit Fest was crowdfunded also left an indelible impression on me. I would never have guessed who was going to host me. A sheer coincidence to discover later that my host teaches at the college I graduated from. I traveled many years back to relive my college days- finding myself in that classroom of poetry- and somehow, all the happy memories of those beautiful years came rushing back. What a nice thing it is to reconnect!



I caught up with old friends I haven't seen in many years. The next evening, I walked the familiar streets again after an engrossing session of poetry. It started to rain as if it knew my love for it. And if nothing else, this has evoked in me a sense of belonging, and certainly more poetry.

I hope to return here again someday. If only to indulge in literature. Perhaps also to reconnect with the BSN. I know somewhere deep in my heart that they will continue to keep fighting the good fight. And may our stories, be it in words or deeds, be those that light somebody else's path!




PS: To my host- I remain grateful for all the love. For sharing your home with me. And for all the book talks. Not to forget the pen. I hope to write some poetry with it. 


Comments

Jagriti Roy said…
I was so excited to join this event but at the last moment I got stuck in some sudden urgency and I failed to join. Thank you for sharing some experience with us. For me it is like a bonanza... 😊😊
Rita Krocha said…
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Would have loved to meet you. Some other time perhaps! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Never forget your roots

Some of you might have come across the tipping story of the world’s richest man who astonished a waiter with his reply. It is said that when Bill Gates tipped the waiter who served him in a restaurant with a 5$, the waiter had a strange feeling in his face. After Gates realized and asked what happened, the Waiter said, “I'm just amazed because on the same table your son gave a tip Of 500$, and you his father, the richest man in the world gave only 5$.” Gate’s reply to this, which goes, "He is the son of the world's richest man, but I am the son of a wood cutter. Never forget your past!" forms the essence of roots that I wish to talk about. I found this story inspirational. It is hard to remain grounded after we become somebody. When a little achievement, some wealth and fame greet you, it is easy to leave behind your roots as though it has nothing to do with your life. Not to talk of becoming very powerful, extraordinary people, but even in our ordinary circums

Mothers at Home, Professionals at Work

Working Mothers have changed the dynamics of family, today. The tradition of women who naturally become housewives after marriage is now, a story of the past. With more and more educated and career-driven women emerging, the modern society is witness to supermoms who are equally capable professionals in their areas of expertise. But this new look of the modern day mother, hasn’t changed one bit, the special qualities that naturally seem to run in mothers since time immemorial. Mothers, we know have overwhelmed us with their patience, devotion, affection, endurance and extraordinary love. In addition to that, in today’s context, they are one of the bread-earners (or sometimes, the sole bread-earner) in the family. But make no mistake, it only means that the modern day, working mothers have more roles to play. On Mother’s Day, we picked some of the working supermoms, whose greatest joys do not necessarily come from what they have achieved in their careers, as one may also assume, b

Meeting My Muse

SEPTEMBER 3. It is late Thursday afternoon. The chairs are empty and the hills are quiet. I like this familiar space I had once lived in- breathing words to life, one day at a time.  He sits across me today. On this warm afternoon. We are meeting for the first time. In a room lit by sunlight. Traces of a working day still visible. And his energy for life, infectious.  I instantly think of happiness. It seeps into my being. Like the sweetness of Autumn flowers that fill the season. The blossoms may fade- like everything else- but they always live their time, leaving a lasting impact. It's odd that I am sitting her e with you , thinking of life as the most precious thing. And in between words that sum up our pasts, it feels like home - just as they say, home is people, not a place.   I relish the tea, the talks, the laughter- this very moment, sparking with inspiration.  Then I knew I have met my Muse . The one, who opened up a whole new world of books, fo