Skip to main content

I Love You

"I love you" He said. "I honestly do"

"Then why won't you marry me?" She asked.

"You mean the world to me" He went on.

"That's not the answer to my question." She was annoyed

"Sweetheart, see I love you but I'm not ready to settle yet"

"If you love me you don't have to be ready. I knew it. You don't love me enough"

They were silent for a moment and then he spoke again.

"That's not it Honey. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. But you just have to wait a little longer."

"How long?" She asked in a disappointed tone.

"I don't know. Maybe time will tell. I have my career to think of. There's a lot to do before marriage"

Now she was really hurt. She didn't say a word but stepped out of the door and walked off......

He sat there, getting a little mad because he could never convince her of his love, that's honest and true.

He picked the phone and dialed her number.

"Hello?" She answered in a sad voice.

"Sweetheart, don't walk away. Just come back. We can talk things over" He softly said

"No." She shouted. "You are going to tell me the same stories again."

"Look Honey, marriage isn't as simple as you think"

"Don't preach now. If marriages are not made of love what are they? Forget it. You just don't love me. We've been together long enough to make a decision. You do whatever you want."

The phone went dead.

"Damn it!" He was furious.

"women! They only want marriage, marriage and marriage" "Why can't she understand me?"

And then he wanted to cry. But he didn't want to show it. Not to himself either.

He has just lost a great battle. He had thought he would save a big fortune so that when he marries the love of his life, their new life would have an easy start. But she didn't see it that way and now she was gone. No amount of trying is ever going to help. She wouldn't understand anyway.

His appetite was gone. He was not hungry anymore. He tried to sleep but he was tossing the whole night. He tried to think but his mind was blank. He felt crazy!

His heart felt strange. He can't even feel it beating. Maybe it stopped the moment she hung up on him. Even as the stars brightly shone above, he was in darkness. His mood was unusual. He wasn't himself anymore.

The sun was slowy rising as he still lay in bed, feeling stupid, lost and lonely.

A part of him wanted to run back to her, tell her he's sorry for tormenting her to wait and wait, that he would marry her right away. But he was a man and he stil had his ego. He was fighting hard. Inside him he felt restless. He had never been in such a helpless state.

Whole day, there was fierce battling going inside his mind. When the twilight appeared, and everything around him seemed calm and peaceful, he took a stroll in deep trance. He thought to himself "What's the point of all the fortune I'm saving when she is already gone. Maybe I should just go and ask her to marry me right away."

He ran almost unable to feel his own feet on the ground and reached her doorway still breathing heavily. When she opened the door, he was literally begging her to forgive him, that he'll marry her right there and then if she wanted"

"Don't be crazy" She said. "You were not even sure if you loved me enough to marry me when I asked. It's over" And the door slammed on his face.

He went numb. "How could she do this to me?"

"What else did she want? She wanted to get married and now I said yes, swallowing all my pride and ego. I don't deserve this after all that we've shared."

He had just had the worst moment in his life. He felt like it was the end of the world. He was broken. He didn't cry. The hurt was too deep for tears. He couldn't shout or scream. He felt cheated.

His heart felt heavy. Every beat sounded dead. He walked alone. It began to rain. He was getting soaked. His hair was dripping. But he didn't care. Right now, nothing felt important. Nothing felt nice. Nothing felt hopeful. He didn't think he would survive this pain

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never forget your roots

Some of you might have come across the tipping story of the world’s richest man who astonished a waiter with his reply. It is said that when Bill Gates tipped the waiter who served him in a restaurant with a 5$, the waiter had a strange feeling in his face. After Gates realized and asked what happened, the Waiter said, “I'm just amazed because on the same table your son gave a tip Of 500$, and you his father, the richest man in the world gave only 5$.” Gate’s reply to this, which goes, "He is the son of the world's richest man, but I am the son of a wood cutter. Never forget your past!" forms the essence of roots that I wish to talk about. I found this story inspirational. It is hard to remain grounded after we become somebody. When a little achievement, some wealth and fame greet you, it is easy to leave behind your roots as though it has nothing to do with your life. Not to talk of becoming very powerful, extraordinary people, but even in our ordinary circums

Mothers at Home, Professionals at Work

Working Mothers have changed the dynamics of family, today. The tradition of women who naturally become housewives after marriage is now, a story of the past. With more and more educated and career-driven women emerging, the modern society is witness to supermoms who are equally capable professionals in their areas of expertise. But this new look of the modern day mother, hasn’t changed one bit, the special qualities that naturally seem to run in mothers since time immemorial. Mothers, we know have overwhelmed us with their patience, devotion, affection, endurance and extraordinary love. In addition to that, in today’s context, they are one of the bread-earners (or sometimes, the sole bread-earner) in the family. But make no mistake, it only means that the modern day, working mothers have more roles to play. On Mother’s Day, we picked some of the working supermoms, whose greatest joys do not necessarily come from what they have achieved in their careers, as one may also assume, b

Meeting My Muse

SEPTEMBER 3. It is late Thursday afternoon. The chairs are empty and the hills are quiet. I like this familiar space I had once lived in- breathing words to life, one day at a time.  He sits across me today. On this warm afternoon. We are meeting for the first time. In a room lit by sunlight. Traces of a working day still visible. And his energy for life, infectious.  I instantly think of happiness. It seeps into my being. Like the sweetness of Autumn flowers that fill the season. The blossoms may fade- like everything else- but they always live their time, leaving a lasting impact. It's odd that I am sitting her e with you , thinking of life as the most precious thing. And in between words that sum up our pasts, it feels like home - just as they say, home is people, not a place.   I relish the tea, the talks, the laughter- this very moment, sparking with inspiration.  Then I knew I have met my Muse . The one, who opened up a whole new world of books, fo